Brand Name: Norvasc
Classification: Antianginal and Antihypertensive (Calcium Channel Blocker)
Mode of Action: Inibits calcium ion influx across cardiac and smooth-muscle cells, thus decreasing myocardial contractility and oxygen demand. Also dilates coronary arteries and arterioles. Reduces blood pressure and prevents angina.
Indication: Angina and hypertension
* Contraindicated in patients hypersensitive to drug
* Use cautiously in patients receiving other peripheral vasodilators and in those with heart failure
* In patients with severe hepatic disease, use cautiously and in reduced dosage because drug is metabolized by liver
Adverse reaction: headache,fatigue, somnolence, edema, dizzinness, flushing, palpitations, nausea, abdominal pain, dyspepsia
* Assess patient's blood pressure or angina before therapy and regularly thereafter.
* Monitor patient carefully for pain. In some patients, especially those with severe obstructive coronary disease, increased frequency, duration, or severity of angina or even acute MI has developed after start of calcium channel blocker therapy or at time of dosage increase.
* Be alert for adverse reactions
* Inform the patient about the adverse effects of the drug.
Generic Name: Diazepam
Brand Name: Valium
Mode of Action: May depress CNS at limbic and subcortical levels of the brain; supresses spread of seizure activity produced by epileptogenic foci in cortex, thalamus, and limbic system.
* Contraindicated in patients hypersensitive to drug or any of its components.
* Use cautiously in patients with hepatic or renal impairment,depression, or chronic open-angle glaucoma
Adverse reaction: depression, drowsiness, fainting, hangover, headache, insomnia, lethargy, pain, restlessness, tremors, abdominal discomfort
Nursing Responsibility:... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 08). Cath Works. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 08, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Cath-Works-392838.html
"Cath Works" StudyMode.com. 08 2010. 08 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Cath-Works-392838.html>.
"Cath Works." StudyMode.com. 08, 2010. Accessed 08, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Cath-Works-392838.html.