1. Who is Holden Caulfield?
2. Where is Holden as he narrates the story?
3. Why wasn't Holden at the big football game?
4. Why wouldn't Holden be back to Pencey after Christmas vacation? 5. What "dirty trick" did Mr. Spencer pull on Holden?
6. Who was Robert Ackley?
7. Who was Stradlater?
8. Identify Jane Gallagher.
9. Why doesn't Holden go down to see Jane?
1. About what did Holden write Stradlater's composition?
2. Why did Holden tear up the composition he had written for Stradlater? 3. Why did Stradlater hit Holden?
4. Where did Holden decide to go?
5. Who did Holden meet on his train ride? Why did Holden lie to her about Ernie? Chapters 10-13
1. Who is Phoebe?
2. Identify Bernice, Marty and Laverne.
3. Describe Holden's relationship with Jane Gallagher.
4. Why did Holden have to leave Ernie's?
5. What do we learn about Holden from his diversion about his gloves being stolen at Pencey? 6. What was the "big mess" Holden got into when he got back to the hotel after being at Ernie's? Chapters 14-17
1. Why did Maurice hit Holden?
2. Holden said he felt like committing suicide. Why didn't he? 3. Identify Sally Hayes.
4. Why did Holden check out of the hotel, and where did he go? 5. Who did Holden meet at the "little sandwich bar" after he locked his bags at the station? What did they talk about?
6. What record did Holden get for Phoebe? Why?
7. What made Holden "not so depressed anymore" on his way to the record store? 8. Why didn't Holden like actors?
9. Why did Holden like the museum so much?
10. What did Holden think of "George something--"?
11. How did Holden's feelings for Sally change from the beginning of the date to the end?
1. What did Holden think of the show at Radio City?
2. Why did Holden call Carl Luce even though he didn't like him much? 3. What did Holden and Luce discuss?
4. Why did Holden go home so early (before Wednesday)?
5. What was...