How to Live a Balanced DotA Life:
Allocating time for things you enjoy doing
Making sure you don’t overdo it
DotA stands for “Defense of the Ancients”, it's a free mod for Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. The purpose of the game is to defend your Ancient and try to destroy the opponents Ancient. The ancients are located deep in both bases, which are located at the top right and bottom left corners of the map. There are over 70 heroes that differ greatly in play style. Each of these heroes have been carefully designed so they are both balanced and unique. The map is updated frequently, sometimes to add new heroes, fix bugs or to make a balance update. The strategies possible with DotA are pretty much endless, choosing the wrong item and hero combination can mean the difference between a win and a loss for your team. The gameplay in DotA Allstars can be classified as relatively fast because as the game progresses any small mistake you make can be fatal to the overall team.
We live life in the fast lane. We don't always have time to finish everything we started and sometimes, we don't even have the time to start anything at all. However, with the help of the right time management strategies, we can make time for everything!
You may sound pretty doubtful, but that's only because you've been stuck in no-time-for-everything land for too long. Not using effective time management tips could make you lose a lot of time to bond with your family and friends, maintain a romantic relationship, and take care of yourself. If you're not efficient in time management, you tend to be too focused on DotA, forgetting that there is more to life than just that. This guide hopes to shed some light.
WHY IS DOTA SO ADDICTING:
1. A Time Killer: Boredom is the most common problem of most people today. DotA can consume a lot of time without you even noticing it. You'll just say "Wtf, I'm late!" after the game.
2. Non-exhausting Game: Unlike Basketball or other physical sports, you can play DotA 'til you can still manage to sit, look at the monitor, use mouse and keyboard, and think. Yes, using your mind is also tiring but it'll take an average of 3 games before you'd want to take a rest.
3. Fame Source: Most players want to be the best in this game to gain fame which I find natural but technically nonsense. I have to admit that thirst for fame drove me to practice and improve my game. After getting the fame I wanted, I asked myself "Now what?". For players who don't plan on having DotA as their profession, Fame isn't that important.
4. Team Work Game: When we were kids we already love having team battles. That's why a lot of team sports came up and multi-player computer games have been invented. Playing with team mates is more addicting than playing alone.
5. Tranquilizing: DotA makes you forget your problems and make you think of simpler problem - how to win.
6. Non-violent war: We love wars. That's why there are shows like Wrestling, UFC, Action Films, etc. DotA is a chance to engage in wars safely. We can fight all day long and just stand up from our computer without even having a scratch.
7. Topic Provider: DotA is a great topic provider. That's why you talk about it while hanging out with your DotA buddies. That's why there are forums and blogs like this. We love chatting and DotA is a great topic to talk about.
8. Sweet Sound Effects: "Rampage!!!" - How sweet that sound is? This sound effect is unconsciously a source of self-affirmation. Everyone loves to be praised and accepted. DotA can be a source of this.
9. Easy to Play: Survey shows that DotA is played by more people than other strategy games like Starcraft. One of the reason is its simplicity. You only have to control one hero - great news for people who are not into doing micros.
10. Total Freedom: In DotA, you have all the freedom to do anything you wish. You can gank, farm, lane top, lane mid, lane bot, buy items you...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document