Case Analysis Form
Name: The XRS Laser Group
1. John conducted himself in such a manner that others might of thought he was some "big hot shot" manager. 2. John displayed little or no leadership qualities, the resistance among others in the group were believed to be, because of John. B. Micro
1. Kate was concerned about the resistance with project team and how the team was not being as productive as they could have been. II. Causes
1. John's style of leadership was the cause of the failure with this project team. 2. John gave the impression he was that he was the "big man", jokes he said and thought were humorous employees felt were inappropriate and this caused failure. 3. John acted in a frivolously disrespectful manner showing very little respect for the feelings and the efforts of his team members. III. Systems affected
1. Structural: The structure was affected to the extent that John was no longer apart of the team.
2. Psychosocial: The most effected system. Members of the group were no longer motivated about the project because John made them feel, belittled, less visible and insulted. Once this happened the project was a sure failure. 3. Technical: The dysfunctional leadership and inappropriate behavior of John may have been the reason for the use of old technology. 4. Goals: Kate's statement clearly states the group was not able to its goals or deadlines for this project. IV. Alternatives
1. Remove John
2. Dissolve the group, tasks out other group members, giving them the opportunity to function properly in a new environment. 3. Choose an effective leader, someone who has a proven track record of excellent leadership function. V. Recommendations
The recommendations should be that the new leader should be briefed about the problems, should have a grasp of the issues and should have a proven record of leadership skills. This was being displayed when Ryan took over the...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document