Week 1 & 2 Analysis Report
“Poor strategic planning is worse than no strategic planning. It can be a big waste of time and money” (“Strategic Thinking”, 2011, p.1). Strategic planning plays a very crucial role in helping organizations achieve their goals. The strategic planning process requires both managers and their subordinates to work together as a team to design, plan and implement those goals. We have noticed that there have been some deficiencies in the leadership of CanGo Inc. We have also provided some recommendations for the management team to improve their weaknesses so that the company can continue to stay successful in achieving its goals and launching itself to the online gaming industry.
(1) There is a lack of mission, vision and value in CanGo Inc. Liz, the founder and CEO started her company with an emergent strategy process. This strategy would not allow the company to stay successful in the long run. Liz thinks that the success of the company has nothing to do with strategic planning. As a result, she fails to recognize the importance of strategic management planning. This issue is the top priority to be addressed because it is the core foundation of the success of the company (BUSN 460, Week 1 Video, 2003).
(2) However, the management fails to analyze the company’s position in the market to set reasonable long-term and short-term goals. The goals and expectations seem to be unrealistic or unachievable. Goals that are either too easy or too difficult are less likely to motivate employees. Also, goals that are too difficult will only bring an increase in stress which can lead to low morale in the subordinates ((BUSN 460, Week 1 & 2 Video, 2003).
(3)There is a lack of communication and management participation. For example, the manager fails to conduct a formal meeting with the subordinate in regards to the implementation of the online gaming industry. The manager simply tells the subordinate what he expects on the project when the subordinate is in the middle of doing other tasks. Furthermore, the manager provides little information and does not give specific direction. The lack of communication will create more confusion and contribute to an increase of stress for the team. Also, the manager is mainly using a directive approach. As a result, subordinates are only taking the order but not able to give feedback. The manager gives no input throughout the planning process. He gave little guidance and simply lets the subordinate be in charge of most of the planning process (BUSN 460, Week 2 Video, 2003). Lack of management participation will create more confusion and decrease the morale or motivation in the employees.
(4) There is a lack of planning and organizing skills. The subordinate failed to prioritize his work and shows poor skills on planning and organizing tasks (BUSN 460, Week 2 Video, 2003). Lack of planning and organizing skill will hinder the company’s growth and decrease profitability. As a result, it will waste company’s time and resources.
(5) There is a lack of teamwork and subordinates are lacking competency to finish the tasks. Online gaming is such a big project to the company that managers and their subordinates have to work together as a team to achieve the goals. However, the manager seems to expect one person to be in full charge of implementing the project (BUSN 460, Week 2 Video, 2003). Too much workload can bring stress in the workplace which can decrease employees’ motivation and morale. Also, one person may not have all the skills and ability to finish all the work in a given time frame.
(6) Goals and plans are not visible to the employees, and there is also lack of motivation in employees. This shows that not everyone in the company is aware of the change and feeling confident on the new plans (BUSN 460, Week 1 & 2 Video, 2003). Without visibility of goals, employees will not sense the importance of the project and they are less likely to be...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document