PHI103: Informal Logic (GSK1219A)
Instructor: Fabio Escobar
June 11, 2012
Can one be moral and not believe in God? Let’s start by defining what it is to be moral or have morals. Morals simply is defined by Webster as “of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior,” (Merriam-Webster, 2011) When you believe in a spiritual being this can play a major role in one’s moral belief. If one do not believe in God or a spiritual being then it would not be hard for an individual to believe that having morals have nothing to do with believing in a spiritual being. Therefore we have people who do not believe that believing in God is a necessary factor in order to have morals. This argument will consist of a brief history of religions, moral education, and ethics. Again, there are people who believe that believing in God is not necessarily needed in order to have morals, but all they need is good ethics, belief in oneself and knowledge to know right from wrong.
There are many interpretations of what defines a religion but not one that can be said to be the most accurate. Some of them are:
* A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.
* An institution to express belief in a divine power.
* A belief concerning the supernatural, sacred, or divine, and the practices and institutions associated with such belief.
* The sum total of answers given to explain humankind’s relationship with the universe.
According to (Merriam-Webster, 2011) the origin of religion is defined below:
* the service and worship of God or the supernatural
* commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
* a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
* archaic: scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
* a cause,... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 09). Can One Be Moral and Not Believe in God?. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 09, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Can-One-Be-Moral-And-Not-1091777.html
"Can One Be Moral and Not Believe in God?" StudyMode.com. 09 2012. 2012. 09 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Can-One-Be-Moral-And-Not-1091777.html>.
- MLA 7
"Can One Be Moral and Not Believe in God?." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 09 2012. Web. 09 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Can-One-Be-Moral-And-Not-1091777.html>.
"Can One Be Moral and Not Believe in God?." StudyMode.com. 09, 2012. Accessed 09, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Can-One-Be-Moral-And-Not-1091777.html.