Individual Case Study (15%)
Due Date: Week 7 (29/8/2012, Wednesday 5pm)
Students will be evaluated on how well they analyze the case study by applying the right theories and concepts. The case topic is “Chocolate consumers feel guilty for the wrong reasons”. At the end of the case study, there are a number of questions in which students need to find answers and justifications. Students need to write a formal business report with a length of 2000 words using 12 pt fonts and 1.5 spacing. The report must be handed in Week 7 (refer to the due date stated above).
Please do not only focus on the article and the texts in getting the answers. Students are advised to refer to at least four (4) academic journals, with additions of materials from newspapers, magazines and Internet websites in analyzing and interpreting the case study questions. They need to acknowledge any borrowed citations or any information under reference lists by using Harvard Referencing System (Please refer to Communication Skills Handbook).
Your report must be submitted to Turnitin and cleared. The allowable percentage of match is 25%. Upon uploading, please exclude the table of content, reference and bibliography lists. Do not forget to attach together the first page of the Turnitin digital receipt on top of the hardcopy of your assignment.
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE YOUR ANSWERS AND REFERENCES WITH YOUR FRIENDS. ASSIGNMENTS WITH HIGH PERCENTAGE OF MATCH (BASED ON TURNITIN REPORT) WILL BE PENALIZED!
Sample of a Business Report (with word limits as an approximate guide for each section)
Declaration Form” Cover Page (can be downloaded from ELearn)
Turnitin digital receipt (first page)
• Report Title: Individual Case Study – “Chocolate consumers feel guilty for the wrong reasons” • Prepared for: Name of Lecturer & Tutor
• Prepared/Written by:Student Name
VU ID No.
• Date of Submission:
• Tutorial Group:
• Inclusive of the:Introduction of the report
Content of the report
Conclusion and recommendations of the report • Should be written only after analysis is completed.
• Do not repeat by using the same sentences and words as the ones used in the report. • Must spell out and explain the summary instead of just “out-lining” it. • Should not be exceeding one page length and paragraphing is encouraged. • Guide – Approximate word count = 300 - 400
Table of Contents
• Titles and subtitles
• Page numbers
• Appendices (if attached)
• Must be typed and not handwritten
1.0 Introduction (Must include these four main components)
• Purpose of writing the report
• Short summary of the case study
• Relevant marketing theory definition and explanation (Briefly) • Guide – Approximate word count =300 - 400 (Make use of paragraphs)
2.0 Problems/issues Identification
• No Assumptions and No own opinions! Only proven facts will be accepted. Every statement made must be referenced and listed under bibliography page and reference list. • Do not use “I”, “We” when writing reports. Do not personalize the report but instead use third party language. • Guide – Approximate word count =500 – 600
4.0 Recommendations/Choices of solutions
• List the courses of action, which, the writer, think, is the most appropriate to the firm • Be specific and not general in giving suggestions.
• Must be related to the facts mentioned in the case study article. • Guide - Approximate word count =400
• Brief presentation of the major findings that have been discovered within the content of the report. (Do not repeat the things you have mentioned in the content because a summary IS NOT a conclusion!) • Guide - Approximate word count =200
List of References
• The reference list...