1. Business Meeting Structure
A structure and the rules of the meeting are specified by the Moderator, usually the person calling the meeting. An order of business is established which lists the typical activities so members will have a general idea of what to expect during the meeting. From the order of business, the Moderator can develop an agenda – a specific, “personalized”, chronological timetable for the meeting. The agenda should contain the specific objectives of the meeting, the topics to be discussed, the presenter, a rough timeline for discussing the topics, and the place and time of the meeting.
2. Conducting the Meeting
Introduce each topic and the main host of that session of the meeting.
Ensure that the meeting is paced such that each topic is covered in the allotted time.
➢ Discourage negative criticism.
1. Focus on the topic, its merits and its faults - not on the person making the statement. Challenge content, not the person.
2. Remain impartial, but drive to a conclusion.
3. Keep in mind that success is signaled when anyone can speak without fear of losing face.
4. Remember, everyone is really thinking out loud.
5. Foster positive feedback and avoid discouraging participation. In case of disagreement, use phrases like “I see your point, but we have to also consider xxx” or “I never thought of that in this context.”
6. Ensure that everyone shares all relevant information.
7. Focus on specifics and give plenty of examples.
8. Encourage the group to make decisions; this is the measure of progress. Even a decision to disagree on very specific topics is progress.
101.01 Handout #2: Parliamentary Procedure
1. Parliamentary Procedure: Motions and Voting
Parliamentary Procedure is sometimes referred to as the “rules of democracy.” It is a commonly accepted way for decision-making bodies to come together, present and discuss issues and possible... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2011, 04). Business Meeting Skills. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2011, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Business-Meeting-Skills-653145.html
"Business Meeting Skills" StudyMode.com. 04 2011. 04 2011 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Business-Meeting-Skills-653145.html>.
"Business Meeting Skills." StudyMode.com. 04, 2011. Accessed 04, 2011. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Business-Meeting-Skills-653145.html.