• A good rate of ideas are exchanged between departments
• It encourages good communication between different departments • Having group discussions allows a wide range of ideas from different experts to be considered • The more ideas the more chance they will hit upon a great one
The main disadvantages of horizontal communication are as follows:
• Due to the fact both departments may be of equal powers decisions are hard to come to • Nobody has the overall say and final decision
• It can cause in-house fighting if differing opinions boil over • One department may always have to check with another department before pushing anything through
Advantages/Importance of upward communication:
The major advantages of upward communication are, it provides feedback from the employees. As a result the communication loop (cycle) completes and management can realize the reactions of the employees.
2. Constructive idea:
Upward communication allows the employees to inform their views regarding the implementation of company policies.
3. Helps decision making:
Through upward communication top management can know the views of flower level employees which help them to make more realistic decision.
4. Establishment of good relation:
Upward communication brings executives and employees close to each other and accordingly mutual relationship developed.
5. Mutual trust:
For the success of any sort of communication trust is an essential element. As relationship developed through upward communication mutual trust also created.
6. Enhance coordination:
Opportunity to express own views and participation in the decision making enhance the level of coordination.
The task of motivation needs two way communications between the concerned parties. Upward communication enables the executives to extend appropriate motivational measures.