You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk • Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly • When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference • Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Name: Devan Primus Business and Administration Unit 1 Assessment 1
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
Place of employment
S.Com Group Limited (Company Registration Number 02209742) whose registered office is at 800 the boulevard, Capability Green, Luton, Bedfordshire. LU1 3BA
The date in which an employee would commence work
e.g. The contractor will be entitled to accrue, on a pro rata basis, 28 days of paid holiday per year (for the avoidance of doubt the 28 days are including Bank Holidays).payments for holiday will be calculated on the basis of the Normal Rate. Holidays may only be taken with the prior written consent of S.Com. The contractor shall endeavour to co-operate with the Clients requirements at all times and any request for paid holiday should be made as far in advance as possible. The Contractor must record all authorised holiday in the relevant timesheet.
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment.
Health and Safety
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment.
Employment Rights and Responsibilities
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
You can get internal information from you line manager or a representative from your trade union.
You can also find external information from the government websites and libraries.
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
For example Trade Unions can help employees with such things as disciplinary hearings and any disputes employees have regarding wages, holidays or even changes in the work place.
5. Briefly describe employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities.
If possible, provide relevant equality and diversity procedures from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
When hiring a new employee a company should never discriminate. For example if they interview a person who was over weight or from an ethnic background, they should still be considered for the job based on their skill set not their background or how they look.
Also as a company stake holder’s, manager and team leaders have a responsibility to ensure and maintain equality and diversity throughout the company to make sure every employee is respected and treated fairly.
Every individual employee is responsible for their own behaviour and actions. They should never make another employee feel unsafe, singled out or be unfairly treated.
Any employee who is ever witness to such discrimination...