▪ Its communication objective was primarily:
- To increase the market share by increasing brand image in front of consumers - To target larger consumer segment
- To project itself as high quality and premium brand
2. Why is viral or buzz marketing effective? Analyze the design of the subservient chicken site’s message, including content, structure, and format. What can you conclude from this analysis?
Viral marketing is effective because it :
1. Gives away products or services
2. Provides for effortless transfer to others
3. Scales easily from small to very large
4. Exploits common motivations and behaviors
5. Utilizes existing communication networks
6. Takes advantage of others' resources
After being seeded into several Internet chat rooms, the "Subservient Chicken" instantly struck a nerve with bloggers, in part because the site's technology allowed users to type in nearly anything and get a response from the chicken. He could do jumping jacks, dance, do push-ups and even watch television. He seemed impossible to stump. Within a day after being released, the site had a million hits. Within a week, it had received 20 million hits.
In addition to Web surfers, the creative community applauded the campaign. "It was so amazingly different and such a good use of the technology," says freelancer Matt Vescovo, one of the judges who selected the campaign to win the gold at the Viral Awards last month, even over his own MTV "Instructoart" campaign. "To take that idea (that you can have chicken any way you like it) for something that really isn't that exciting-a chicken sandwich-and to so seamlessly put it into such an innovative use of technology, it just really hit so many sweet spots for me." "The bull's-eye target is the 18- to 45-year-old guy, who...