What Does The Resurrection Mean? It Means...
1. Jesus is who he claimed to be. "I am the Resurrection and the Life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies." John 11:25 "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one can get to God the Father except by means of me." John 14:6 (LB)
2. Jesus has the power he claimed to have. "All power in heaven and on earth is given to me." Matt. 28:18 (Ph) "No one takes my life from me. I have the power to lay it down and I have the power to take it up again." John 10:18 (Ph)
3. Jesus does what he promises to do. "They will mock... and flog... and kill me; but after three days I will come back to life again." Mark 10:34 (LB) The angel said, `Don't be frightened! I know you are looking for Jesus who was crucified, but he isn't here! He has come back to life again, just as he said he would." Matt. 28:5-6 (LB)
Why Does the Resurrection Matter? Because Now ... 1. My past can be forgiven. "He has forgiven all our sins... and canceled every record of the debt we owed; Christ has done away with it by nailing it to the cross." Col. 3:14 (JB) "There is no condemnation awaiting those who belong to Christ." Rom. 8:1 (LB)
2. My present problems can be managed. "How incredibly great is his power to help those who believe Him ... the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead!" Eph. 1;20 (LB) "I am ready for anything through the strength of Christ who lives is me." Phil. 4:13 (Ph)
3. My future can be secured. "This is the way to have eternal life - by knowing the only true God and Jesus Christ, the one he sent to earth!" John 17:3 (LB) "We have been born again into a life full of hope through Christ's rising from the dead." 1 Peter 1:3
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES EASTER MAKE? Easter Messages - Part 1 of 6 Selected Scriptures Rick Warren
One of my favorite magazines is U.S. News & World Report. I like it because there's a section in there called "News You Can Use" which implies that there is a lot of news you can't use. That's true. We live in a very information society. There's an information glut. But a lot of what's out I really don't need to know. I don't want to waste my time tonight and I don't want to waste your time so we're going to talk about News That You Can Use. A lot of time you can go to a church and you hear news you can't use. Tonight I don't want to waste any time; I want to get right to the point. I feel like the chicken that decided to lay an egg on the California freeway. The rooster said, "Here's how you do it. You lay it on the line and you do it in a hurry!" That's what I want to do tonight. I want to lay it on the line and do it in a hurry. Two questions: Easter, the resurrection. What does it mean and why does it matter? There are a lot of things you could have done tonight rather than come sit in a gymnasium. In the next 24 hours over a billion people will celebrate easter all around the world. How is it something could happen 1991 years ago, approximately, and still cause traffic james today? What does it mean? A lot of people say, "I believe in the resurrection. I just don't understand it." George Gallup did a pole this last year and said that even 84% of the people who never go to church, believe that Jesus rose from the dead. It's an historical fact. It wasn't done in secret. The whole city of Jerusalem knew about it and eventually the whole Roman Empire. It was news. If CNN had been there, they would have had it live. There are at least 15 historical references to Jesus meeting people, touching people, talking with people. One time He cooked breakfast for some people. One time He talked to about 500 people after He had risen from the dead. A lot of people saw Him. What does it mean? Three things. 1. Jesus is who He claimed to be. 2. Jesus has the power He claimed to have 3. Jesus does what He promised to do. That's what it means.
1. JESUS IS WHO HE CLAIMED TO...