Rianna Welsh 622 Book: “Night” by Elie Wiesel
1. Does the story have an explicit theme? What is it? Use at least 3 details from the story to support your answer.
Yes, the book does have an explicit theme. There are many examples of the explicit themes .Some of the themes are
* Death- Death was shown through the loss of loved ones, especially when Elie lost his entire family to the concentration camp. It was also shown through the hurtful torture that happened, and the decaying smell of dead bodies penetrating in the prisoner's noses.
* Faith- Elie’s father told Elie to never lose his faith of his religion and that it would help him through everything that was bound to happen, and keep him strong. First Elie wasn't sure of his faith. He thought if there was a God, then why did he create the situation that they were in.
* Hatred – The Nazi's acted with a lot hatred against the Jews, Gypsies, Ghettos, and many others who stood in their way. They killed and tortured because of hatred. The hate succeeded over all.
1. What point of view is the story told? What are the advantages of the chosen point of view? Use details from the text to support your answer.
The point of view is told by Eliezer (a slightly fictionalized version of Elie Wiesel). Eliezer speaks in the first person and always relates to the autobiographical events from his perspective (point of view). He said “Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed.” Followed by him saying “Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky.” Finally he finished by saying “Never shall I forget those flames... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 02). Book Response : Elie Wiesel "Night". StudyMode.com. Retrieved 02, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Book-Response-Elie-Wiesel-Night-1439549.html
"Book Response : Elie Wiesel "Night"" StudyMode.com. 02 2013. 2013. 02 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Book-Response-Elie-Wiesel-Night-1439549.html>.
- MLA 7
"Book Response : Elie Wiesel "Night"." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 02 2013. Web. 02 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Book-Response-Elie-Wiesel-Night-1439549.html>.
"Book Response : Elie Wiesel "Night"." StudyMode.com. 02, 2013. Accessed 02, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Book-Response-Elie-Wiesel-Night-1439549.html.