• Biscuit industry in India in the organized sector produces around 60% of the total production, balance 40% is produced by the unorganized sector (i.e. bakeries).
• Biscuit market in India is around 12,662 crores.
• There are around 150 medium to small biscuit factories in India
• Indian biscuit industry is the 3rd largest industry, behind U.S.A and China.
PERCENTAGE OF MARKET SHARE BRAND WISE
• Parle- 40%
• Britannia- 38%
• Priya Gold – 15%
• ITC- 11%
• Rest- 6%
• The export of biscuits contributes to 15% of annual production; however imports have not shown any significant growth in the last 2 years.
• IBMA estimates annual growth in the range of 25% and above mainly due to decrease in VAT on biscuits.
• Current penetration levels are
Urban- 75 to 85%
Rural-50 to 65%
• AC Nielson studies show that India is the world’s leading market for biscuits ahead of US, China and most European countries
• India showed a volume market share of 22%, the second slot was occupied by the US at 13%
• The top 3 countries- India, US, and Mexico contribute to over 40% of the total biscuits
• The glucose segment has already reached maturity phase of the PLC, no value benefit, Parle being the key player that drives profits through economies of scale
• Per capita consumption of 2.5 kg as compared to 10 kg of mature markets like US and Europe.\
• Demand from rural markets account for half the biscuit sales in India (rural markets account for 30% revenues for Britannia and Parle and over 50% for regional brands.
• Today biscuits contribute to over 33% of the total production of bakery and above 79% of the biscuits are manufactured in the small scale sector of bakery industry, comprising both factory and non factory units in the country.
• The biscuit industry is estimated to grow at about 15-17% in the next few years.
• The export of biscuits is about 17% of the annual production; the... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 06). Biscuit Industry India. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 06, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Biscuit-Industry-India-1784303.html
"Biscuit Industry India" StudyMode.com. 06 2013. 2013. 06 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Biscuit-Industry-India-1784303.html>.
- MLA 7
"Biscuit Industry India." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 06 2013. Web. 06 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Biscuit-Industry-India-1784303.html>.
"Biscuit Industry India." StudyMode.com. 06, 2013. Accessed 06, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Biscuit-Industry-India-1784303.html.