In this experiment we used dried split peas to extract the DNA and observed the protein isolate.
The purpose of the experiment was to learn what the process was to extract DNA. You also learned the characteristics of DNA and go to observe them.
I think the DNA will be really interesting to observe.
* Drinking glasses
* Measuring cup
* Paper towels
* Rubber band
* Papain powder
* Split pea bag
* Test tube
* Salt packets
* Stirring rod
1. Take the split peas and the salt packets and add to the blender. 2. Add 1 cup of cold water to the blender
3. Blend the split peas, water, and salt mixture on the high setting for approximately 30 seconds. 4. Place the cheesecloth over a drinking glass and secure it in place with a rubber band. 5. Pour the contents of the blender into the cup allowing it to strain through the cheesecloth. 6. Remove the cheesecloth from the cup and discard in the trash. 7. Add the detergent and carefully stir the solution with the stirring rod and rinse the stirring rod after. 8. Place the solution in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
9. After 10 minutes is up fill a test tube 1/3 full.
10. Pour half of the papain powder into the test tube and gently stir the solution. 11. Get alcohol from freezer. Hold the test tube at a 45-degree angle and slowly add the alcohol to the solution until there are equal amounts. 12. Slowly turn the test tube to up right position and allow settling for 1 minute. 13. Observe the two layers of the DNA
14. When finished discard of the solution and clean utensils used.
The DNA was white stringy filament stuff; I was expecting more DNA than that though.
That the lab worked
The experiment showed what DNA would...