• http://www.preservearticles.com/201101032353/deficiency-diseases.html • http://www.who.int/chp/working_paper_growth%20model29may.pdf • http://www.drugs.com/condition/pneumonia.html
• http://www.medicinenet.com/diabetes_treatment/article.htm • http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/asthma/treatment.html • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemophilia
• http://www.ehow.com/about_5474373_drug-misuse-vs-drug-abuse.html • http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/drug+abuse • http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080724165759AAIEUv3 • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_sigatoka
• http://dominicavibes.dm/news/iica-assists-dominica-with-black-sigatoka-prevention-efforts • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huanglongbing
• http://www.virology.ws/2009/04/29/influenza-virus-transmission/ • http://www.caricom.org/jsp/community_organs/aids.jsp?menu=cob
1. There are four major groups of diseases which occur in living organisms. Pathogenic diseases are caused by ‘disease causing agents’ called pathogens, such as a virus, bacterium or fungus. Deficiency diseases are caused by a lack of some particular nutrient in one’s diet. Physiological diseases are diseases in which the organs or systems in the body malfunction, due to one’s lifestyle or it may be inherited. Hereditary diseases are diseases or disorders which are inherited genetically.
|Type of Disease |Examples |Treatment, Control, Cure | |1. Pathogenic |1.Lyme Disease |Antibiotics(e.g. doxycycline or amoxicillin) | | |2. Pneumonia |Antibiotics (e.g. Penicillin VK) | | |3. Whooping Cough |Macrolide Antibiotics | | |4.Leptospirosis |Antibiotics(e.g. Penicillin G,Tetracyline | |2. Deficiency |1. Rickets |Eating more food rich in Vitamin D & Calcium | | | |Vitamin D& Calcium supplements | | | |Increase in exposure to sunlight | | |2.Scurvy |Eating more food rich in Vitamin C (e.g. Citrus) | | | |Vitamin C supplements | | |3.Beri Beri |Thiamine supplements | | | |Thiamine rich diet (e.g. oatmeal, brown rice) | | |4. Pellagra |Oral intake of Nicotinamide or niacin | |3. Physiological |1.Hypertension |Low sodium diet | | | |Exercise | | |...