Week Two Quiz – Biological Basis of Behavior
Instructions: Each question is worth 2 points. Type your answers in the space adjacent to each question. Submit as an attachment in your assignment link.
1. The brain’s ability to adapt to new environmental conditions is called:
2. Severe damage to the hippocampus will result in what effect on a person’s memory?
People with severe damage to this area can still remember names, faces, and events that they recorded in memory before they were injured, but they cannot remember anything new. 3. Rosenzweig’s research demonstrated the effect of a stimulating environment on rats’ brains, but we’re not rats in cages. What do the results of this research suggest is important for human beings?
Enriched or Experience can actually affect the structure of the brain. 4. Parkinson’s disease has been traced to the loss of brain cells that produce which neurotransmitter?
5. The part of the brain that controls bodily functions such as breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure is:
Medulla 6. The production of new brain cells is called:
7. The neurotransmitter known as the “mood molecule” is:
8. What brain structure is involved in governing and regulating emotions?
9. Marked personality change is a likely effect of injury to which part of the brain?
Frontal lobe damage
10. The primary connection between the left and right hemispheres of the brain is a band of fibers called:
11. For the great majority of people, language ability is concentrated primarily in which hemisphere of the brain?
12. Imbalance in neurotransmitters appear to contribute to many types of:
Mental illness 13. What symptoms are experienced when the sympathetic division of the nervous system is triggered?
Heart pounding, breathing quicker, pupils enlarge, and digestion stops 14. A breakdown in the brain cells that produce and respond to acetylcholine...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document