Biography: Wilma Rudolph

Only available on StudyMode
  • Topic: High school, Wilma Rudolph, Tennessee State University
  • Pages : 2 (651 words )
  • Download(s) : 34
  • Published : April 7, 2012
Open Document
Text Preview
Wilma Rudolph Wilma Glodean Rudolph was born on June 23, 1940 to Ed and Blanche Rudolph. She was born in St. Bethlehem, Tennessee and raised in Clarksville, Tennessee. Wilma was born prematurely at 4.5 pounds, the 20th of 22 other brothers and sisters. She and her mother were not permitted to be cared for at the local hospital, because of racial segregation. The hospital was for whites only and there was only one black doctor in Clarksville. The Rudolph's budget was tight, so Wilma's mother spent the next several years nursing Wilma. She was a sick child that had many childhood diseases, one illness after another: measles, mumps, scarlet fever, chicken pox and double pneumonia. Wilma is a miracle child, she wasn't expected to live a long life. Her parents were hardworking people, but were very poor. Mr. Rudolph worked as a railroad porter and handyman. Mrs. Rudolph did cooking, laundry and housecleaning for wealthy white families, but when Welma was born she had to stay home nurse her child. Millions of Americans were poor in 1940. They were out of work and homeless because of the Great Depression. In the good run the Rudolphs managed to make ends meet by doing things like making the girls' dresses out of flour sacks. Wilma was finally taken to the doctor when she was six years old, that is when her left leg and foot became weak and deformed. It was discovered that she was suffering from polio, a crippling illeness. The doctor told her family she would not walk again because polio was a crippling illness

[Williamson 2/English Class and Group (A1)] without a cure. When they found out that horrible news Mrs. Rudolph did not give up on her ill child, she found out that Wilma could be treated at Meharry Hospital. Meharry Hospital was a black medical college in Nashville, Tennessee which was 50 miles away from their home. Mrs. Rudolph took Wilma there twice a week for two years, until she was able to walk with the aid of a metal leg brace. They couldn't afford to...
tracking img