To impose sanctions against perpetrators of crimes against humanity and genocide in Darfur, Sudan, and for other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the `Darfur Genocide Accountability Act of 2005'.
SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.
In this Act:
(1) APPROPRIATE CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEES- The term `appropriate congressional committees' means the Committee on Foreign Relations of the Senate and the Committee on International Relations of the House of Representatives.
(2) GOVERNMENT OF SUDAN- The term `Government of Sudan' means the National Congress Party-led government in Khartoum, Sudan, or the successor Government of National Unity to be formed pursuant to the Comprehensive Peace Agreement signed by the Government of Sudan and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement in Nairobi, Kenya on January 9, 2005. Measures against the Government of Sudan, as defined in this paragraph, shall not apply to the Government of South Sudan (GOSS) or to areas formerly under the control of opposition groups.
(3) MEMBER STATES- The term `member states' means the member states of the United Nations.
(4) SUDAN NORTH-SOUTH PEACE AGREEMENT- The term `Sudan North-South Peace Agreement' means the Comprehensive Peace Agreement signed by the Government of Sudan and the Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army on January 9, 2005.
SEC. 3. FINDINGS.
Congress makes the following findings:
(1) On July 22, 2004, the House of Representatives and the Senate declared that the atrocities occurring in Darfur, Sudan, are genocide.
(2) On September 9, 2004, Secretary of State Colin L. Powell stated before the Committee on Foreign Relations of the Senate, `[w]hen we reviewed the evidence compiled by our team, along with other information available to the State Department, we concluded that genocide has been committed in Darfur and that the Government of Sudan... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2005, 12). Bill. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 12, 2005, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Bill-73677.html
"Bill" StudyMode.com. 12 2005. 12 2005 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Bill-73677.html>.
"Bill." StudyMode.com. 12, 2005. Accessed 12, 2005. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Bill-73677.html.