Title of organization : Betlehem Day Care Center Foundation Incorporation (BDCCFI)
Description: The Day Care Center is an outreach project of the Cebu Archdiocesan Prison apostolate
(CAPA) For 14 years now.
Location : White Road , Inayawan, cebu City
Management & Staff:
Founder: Fr. Giovanni (John) Iacono
This center is currently being run by one head teacher, secretary, permanent & casual volunteers, one coordinator and four teachers all under the guidance of one Catholic priest, Fr. Iacono. Organizational Chart
The Bethlehem Day Care Center provides daycare service and other support service to the children of scavengers at the landfill site:
- 360 families residing in our houses, in Dumlog, Talisay. The average family is 4-6 persons (eventually we will have about 3,000 family members in our Village)
- 38 houses (built with the help of Habitat for Humanity) in Inayawan, Cebu
Providing children with an educational foundation as toddlers encourages them and increases their chance in getting into elementary school. With education, these children develop into productive individuals, contributing the poverty alleviation and community building. No amount of money can ever be enough to help one child have a brighter future. No efforts are too many to help a child to go to school and improve his knowledge for the future. No pain is too big to bear if it gives a person dignity. No humiliation should stop anybody from helping the needy.
Our facility currently accommodates children from families near the dumpsite area. These children, ages three to six, are sons and daughters of scavengers at the landfill site at Inayawan, Cebu City, Philippines. These children scavengers earn 50 to 100 pesos a day.
As part of its program and service, we offer daycare sessions, scholarships to 10 students, a supplemental feeding program, uniforms, medical services and Basic Moral Christian values and Basic Ecclesial Communities formation among the parents of the Daycare Children. The center offers the above services free of charge. Objectives
• To assist less privilege families who are not able to provide their children with opportunities to develop a strong foundation of spirituality and values of the society where they live. • To aid in the development of the childs mental, communication and creative abilities, confidence, self expression and discipline adapted to their stage of growth and development. • To enable the child to understand and relate positively to his/her parents and other adults in the family and his/her social environment. • To provide the pre-school child with opportunities to improve and maintain health through supplemental feeding. • To provide custodial care for the child during the absence of the parents/guardian when no better substitute arrangement is available at home. • Crime prevention.
• Reduced mortality rate among children.
Program and Services:
The Bethlehem Day Care Center program includes:
• Physical caring, supplemental feeding.
• Motor skills development.
• Value inculcation, human relations.
• Language development, cognitive adoptive skills.
• Creative experience, mental stimulation.
• Personal and social skills.
The day care service integrates these components needed in providing substitute parenting for the pre-school child. More than just watching over the child and keeping him/her protected from physical harm, substitute mothering includes mental stimulation and value inculcation. Group...