BENEFITS OF DELEGATING MANAGEMENT TASKS
Delegation is the assignment of authority and responsibility to another person to carry out specific activities. However the person who delegated the work remains accountable for the outcome of the delegated work. Before we start doing any delegation there are a few things we need to consider: • Is there someone else that can do the job?
• Is there a training need which must be met as soon as possible? • Is there enough time to delegate effectively?
• Does the task provide an opportunity to grow and develop my team player’s skills? • Is the delegation beneficial to the team’s objectives? Delegation can be beneficial to the team’s objectives by:
• Better distribution of work through the group
• Creating more involvement
• Getting task done more efficiently
To delegate successfully we have to:
• Identify a suitable person for the task.
• Prepare the person. Explain the task clearly. Make sure that we are understood. Leave room in the task description for ingenuity / initiative. • Make sure the person has the necessary authority to do the job properly. • Keep in touch with the person for support and monitoring progress. Do not get to close. Accept alternative approaches. • Focus on results. Concern ourselves with what is accomplished, rather than detailing how the work should be done. • Build motivation and commitment. Discuss how success will impact financial rewards, future opportunities, informal recognition, and other desirable consequences. Provide recognition where deserved.
Good delegation saves you time, develops your people, grooms a successor, and motivates. Poor delegation will cause you frustration, demotivates and confuses the other person, and fails to achieve the task or purpose itself. Delegation is a very helpful aid for succession planning, personal development - and seeking and encouraging promotion. It's how we grow in the job -...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document