GENERAL NOTE TAKING – BELONGING
General Thesis Statements
* The forces that drive us to belong are always at work whether one belongs or does not. The need to belong is an innate part of human nature, as is the ability to empathise. * Our life experiences teach us that when you stop trying to belong you realise that you have always belonged. * Belonging is a state integral to the human condition that shifts constantly with the changing contexts throughout life. * Belonging is based on a mutual sense of understanding
* When humanity experiences a strong connection to a place, the notion of Belonging is strengthened and enriched. * The lack of understanding within a superficial relationship prevents belonging and causes feelings of exclusion and isolation. * The pressures of conformity can quash individuals.
Theses Relating to Strictly Ballroom
* An individual has the potential to damage relationships and ensure that others do not belong. * Groups can often shun or scorn individuals who choose to be different. * Group identity can often mean that the fear of being rejected often results in pressuring others to comply. * Belonging to a group carries with it expectations of compliance. DOUG
* The basic human need to belong can cloud our judgements and direct our actions. * Conforming to a group identity can offer little enrichment of a person’s individual passions. LEZ? LIZ? (DANCE COMMUNITY)
* Belonging is security, acceptance and identity.
* Group identity can often mean that the fear of being rejected often results in pressuring others to comply. (MAYBE) * Belonging to a group carries with it expectations of compliance. FRAN
* Belonging can be alienation, abandonment and insecurity. * Rebellious identities see their individuality limited by adhering to dominant group values. * The true nature of belonging must be meaningful to allow for growth and contentment. SCOTT...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document