(Based on Block 1-7)
Course Code: EEG-01IBEGE-101
Assignment Code: EEG-01JBEGE-101/TMA/2010-2011
Maximum Marks: 100
1. Give examples of literary and non-literary prose by citing examples from any source of your choice - 350 words (you may quote the source). 20
2. Fill in the blank in the following sentences with suitable prepositions: i) There is no one ........ .answer the call
ii) I see a lot of politics ............ this case
iii) This is ..... you to see
iv) I had warned you ...... his evil desires
v) It is ......... the gentleman who came here yesterday
3. Make five words using the prefix 'un' as unfinished
4. Write five sentences using phrasal verbs such as
She is beating about the bush
5. Read the following poem and answer the questions that follow: A LOW TEMPLE
A low temple keeps its gods in the dark.
You lend a matchbox to the priest
One by one the gods come to light.
Amused bronze. Smiling stone, Unsurprised.
For the moment the length of a matchstick
gesture after gesture revives and dies.
Stance after lost stance is found
and lost again,
Who was that, you ask.
The eight arm goddess, the priest replies.
A sceptic match coughs.
You can count.
But she has eighteen, you protest.
All the same she is still an eight arm goddess to
You come out in the sun and light a eharminar.
Children play on the back of the twenty foot
i) Comment on the atmosphere of the poem 5
ii) What do you think is the difference in altitude between the priest and the narrator? 8
iii) Discuss the title of the poem
iv) Use the following words in your own sentences in a figurative sense Light, smiling stones, eight arms goddess, in the dark, come to light 5
6. Write a passage using rhetorical devices on a person, idea or ideology. (300 words)
7. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow: A ripple of laughter ran from one corner of the room to...