1. Identify Hester Prynne, Pearl, Rev. Mr. Dimmesdale and Roger Chillingworth. 2. What emblem did Hester have to wear? Why was she sentenced to wear it? 3. What information did Hester refuse to tell the officials and Mr. Dimmesdale? 4. What was the relationship between Hester and Roger Chillingworth? 5. What did Hester promise to Roger Chillingworth?
1. Hester is released from prison. Why doesn't she run away to a different settlement? 2. How did Hester support herself and Pearl?
3. Describe Pearl.
4. Describe Hester's feelings towards Pearl.
5. Why did Hester go to see Governor Bellingham?
6. What did Hester and Pearl see in the breastplate of the armor? What is the significance of the exaggeration?
1. Mr. Wilson asks Pearl, "Canst thou tell me, my child, who made thee?" What is Pearl's answer? Why did she say that?
2. What convinced the Governor to let Hester keep Pearl?
3. How did Roger Chillingworth become Dimmesdale's medical advisor? 4. Who is the leech? Why is he called that in the title of the chapter? 5. Why did Mr. Dimmesdale rush from the room to end the conversation he had with Roger Chillingworth?
1. What does Rev. Dimmesdale's congregation think of him? Why is that ironic? 2. Where did Mr. Dimmesdale go at midnight? Why?
3. What did Pearl ask Mr. Dimmesdale?
4. What "sign" did the meteor make in the sky?
5. Where had Mr. Wilson, Hester, Pearl and Roger Chillingworth been that night, that they would all be walking by the scaffolding at midnight? 6. What was the other view of Hester?
1. What did Hester tell Roger Chillingworth when they met on the peninsula? 2. Why do Hester and Pearl go to the forest?
3. When Mr. Dimmesdale finds out that Roger Chillingworth is out for revenge, he knows his religious career in Boston will be at an end and his life will be miserable. What does Hester...