1. What do you think was causing some of the problems in the savings and loan home office and branches? There is clearly a problem with communication, and the effects are felt in the area of employee commitment. Additional contributing factors include the lack of consistency in the policies and procedures of various locations. There is no cohesiveness to the staffing activities of this organization.
2. Do you think setting up a HR unit in the main office would help? Of course we think it would! Since there are HR-related problems both in the home office and in the branches, it is clear that if a personnel office were set up, it would need to help to coordinate the HR activities in the branches.
3. What specific functions should it carry out? What HR functions would then be carried out by supervisors and other line managers? There is room for quite a bit of variation in the answers to this question. Our suggested organization would include:
HR Unit: job analyses, planning labor needs and recruiting, providing advising and training in the selection process, orientation of new employees, managing wage and salary administration, managing incentives and benefits, providing and managing the performance appraisal process, organization-wide communications, and providing training & developing services.
Supervisors and Other Line Managers: interviewing and selection of job candidates, training new employees, appraising performance, departmental & personal communications, and training & development.
Continuing Case: Carter Cleaning company
Make a list of five specific HR problems you think Carter Cleaning will have to grapple with
Carter Cleaning center will have the following main problems to grapple with if they do not experience the proper management and HR practices in their Cleaning center
1. Carter Cleaning center business has increased from two stores to six stores which have created a need of having skilled workers, so Carter Cleaning center will have to devise a system of Selecting, Hiring, Training, Appraising and Compensating the employees. 2. The Carter Cleaning center will have the problem of communication and coordination between the employees, for this they have to motivate and guide them of right behavior. 3. Carter Cleaning center will have the problem of proper HR staff, as at this scale of business the introduction of proper HR staff is not profitable so site managers employed in the Carter Cleaning Center will have to perform the job of HR as well, as every manager should have the ability to perform staff (human resource) and line functions both in order to be competitive. 4. Carter Cleaning center could have the problem of high turnover of employees if the employees are not provided with the proper facilities and health care services and if they feel as if their salaries are unfair and unjust with regards to the work they perform. 5. The Carter Cleaning center will have to update itself with the continuously changing trends such as Globalization, Technological trends, Workforce diversity and Trends in the nature of work in order to compete and live in the continuously changing environment.
What would you do first if you were Jennifer?
If I would have been in place of Jennifer I would have done following things
* Firstly I would have devised a system of Recruiting, Screening, Training, Compensating and Appraising the employees * I would have introduced promotion plan for the employees who work extraordinary on the job * I would decentralized the authority by providing the power to the lower staff employees to effectively handle the customers take on the spot decisions to reduce any delay in decision making...