❑ A number of ball pens; disposable and refillable are available in the market now, from both local and imported source.
❑ A rough proportion may be local 65%, imported 35% in terms of quantity.
❑ Imported pens are mostly available and demanded in urban areas.
❑ Market doesn’t seem saturated; particularly quality pens are few in number.
❑ People are buying imported pens although these are expensive comparatively due to non availability of quality pens from local source.
❑ So opportunity is there if a good quality pen is offered at a reasonable price.
❑ Besides, rural and comparatively remote areas are yet to get enough no of pens to meet the demand.
POPULAR BRANDS AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET:
Amongst, Matador is having the maximum market share (monthly sales: BDT 9 to 10 crore). Onetime and refillable are having a ratio as 65:35 on the sales amount. Most of the local manufacturer has got the emphasis on onetime pens. Many of them don’t have a refillable pen at all. This may due to the fact that a no of components need to be made for refillable pens. The expense is high in this case since each component requires a single mold.
Reynolds (exists no more)
Besides, there are some Chinese pens as well.
Cello is having the highest market share among imported pens. They have got the most variety as well. Montex and Linc are having a handsome proportion. ADD gel pens are comparatively costly and mostly used as a gift item.
❑ Mainly of two categories; one time (direct filled) and refillable.
❑ Another categorization may be normal ball pen and gel pen.
❑ Gel pen is getting popular day by day although true gel pens available are very few in numbers.
❑ Another important categorization is the ball diameter, normally varies from 1.0 to 0.5 mm.
❑ Ink color is another basis for categorization. It is mostly black, blue and red are also available.
❑ Some design pens are there as well with sparkling ink of different metallic colors like gold, silver, violet etc.
FACTS ABOUT BALLPEN USAGE
• Common users may be of two main type; students and corporate users.
• Normally students are fond of fine tips (0.5/0.6 mm ball dia.) since it has a good control on hand writings.
• Corporate users are concern about ink flow since they need to write on different type of paper at a comparatively higher speed.
• The outlook of a pen has now become significant but if the writing quality is poor the outlook hardly works.
• Quality of a ball pen depends mainly on tips and ink. Cap style & function is also important factor.
• Once someone finds a pen smooth in writing till the ink ends, asks for the same pen next time when he needs a pen.
PROBLEMS FELT FREQUENTLY
• Each time when starts writing, ink doesn’t start flowing.
• Stops sometimes during continuous writing.
• Ink leakage through the ball during writing for long time.
• Ink gets dried before it finishes.
• Ink leakage at the rear end
• Problems faced in keeping the pen in the pocket.
• Balls get out of the tip after writing for some days
• For refillable pens, the components (like back cap, nozzle) gets broken.
• For refillable pens, refills are not available always everywhere.
• For direct filled type ball pen, the barrel is made with an extrusion machine. A one die extrusion gives about 90 pcs of barrel per min. It comes as a simple PP stick with a thru hole.
• Shaping both the ends of a barrel is called chamfering. A chamfering machine working on both ends of a barrel gives about 65 pcs chamfered body per min.
• Ink filling...