Classification of Ovens and other Baking Tools and Equipment A. Ovens
1. Convection ovens
2. Rotary ovens
3. Microwave ovens
4. Combo ovens
5. Deck of cabinet
6. Revolving tray or reel ovens
B. Other Baking Equipment
C. Baking Tools and Utensils
Square cake pan
Round layered cake pan
Cookie or baking sheet
Loose bottom cake pan
Cake cooler or wire rack
Tube rectangular cake pan
Tube or sponge cake pan
Bread loaf pan
Ring mold for puddings
Roasting or Broiling pan
Muffin pan or Cup cake pan
Baking Tools and Equipment
and their Use
A. Baking Tools and Equipment
1. Spatula – small spatulas are used to remove muffins and molded cookies from pans which is five to six inches long and about one inch wide. Large spatulas are used to apply icing or frosting cakes. The flexible blade of the spatula is used for various purposes.
2. Flour Sifter–one form of sifter has several sieves for sifting flour. Another form is used to sift flour directly into the measuring cup.
3. Wooden Spoon – this is known as the mixing spoon. It comes in various sizes suitable for different types of mixing.
4. Scraper – this is a rubber or pliable plastic scraper used to remove sticky ingredients and mixtures from the sides of a bowl or measuring cup.
5. Measuring Cups – The standard set of measuring cups consists of two types namely: a. A graduated cup with fractions (1, ¾, 2/3, ½, 1/3, ¼, 1/8) marked on each side. A measuring glass made of transparent glass or plastic is more accurate for measuring liquids.
b. A series of flour individualized cups indicating fractional parts. (1, ½, 1/3, ¼, 1/8)
6. Measuring Spoons – These consists of a set of measuring spoons used to measure small quantities of ingredients.
7. Weighing Scale – This equipment is used to measure large quantities of ingredients.
8. Electric Mixer – It is used in different baking procedures to beat, stir and blend ingredients.
9. Rotary Egg Beater – This is used for beating eggs or whipping cream.
10. Grater and Shredder – These are used to grate or shred chocolate, cheese, fresh coconut and other friuts.
11. Rolling Pin – This tool is used to roll or flatten paste or dough.
12. Baking Pans – These are glass or metal containers for batter and dough which come in various sizes and shapes. The cake pan comes in different sizes and shapes and may be round, square, rectangular or heart shaped. Tube Center Pan – Deeper than a round pan and with a hollow center, it has a removable bottom and is used to bake chiffon type cakes. Muffin Pans – These have 12 formed cups for baking muffins and cup cakes. Pop Over Pan – It is used for cookery pop overs.
Special Pan – These consist of ring molds, tube pans, pudding pans and casseroles. Jelly Roll Pan – This is shallow rectangular pan used for baking cake rolls. Bundt Pan – A round pan with scalloped sides for this is used for baking elegant and special cakes. Custard Cup – made of porcelain or glas used for baking individual custards. Griddle Pans – These are used to bake griddle cakes.
13. Pastry Cloth and Rolling Pin Covers–These are used to ease the kneeding or flattening of dough.
14. Pastry Bag – A funnel shaped container of icing or whipped cream, this is used to force food thru a pastry tip.
15. Pastry Tip – This is a pointed metal or plastic tube, attached to the opening of the pastry bag and is used to form desired designs.
16. Pastry Brush – This brush is used to grease pans or to brush the surface of pastries and bread.
17. Pastry Wheel – It has a blade knife used to cut dough when making pastries.
18. Pastry Blender – A tool with handles and wire, it is used to cut fat or shortening when preparing pies,...