Timeline of Baby Ps Case
Crucial signs were missed.
* Mother arrested in Dec 2006 after bruises found on Baby Ps face and chest by a GP. * After 5 weeks Baby P returned home.
* April 2007 admitted to hospital with bruises, 2 black eyes and swelling on the left side of his head. * Nothing was done. The doctor was duped by his mother Tracey Connelly’s explanation that her son bruised easily. * May 2007 social workers noticed marks on his face and sent him to hospital. * 12 areas of scratches and bruises were found, the mother was arrested. * Why was Baby P not taken away after 2nd arrest?
* July 2007, mother covered Baby P with chocolate to hide facial injuries. * August 1st 2007, Baby P is examined at child development clinic, Dr Sabah Al-Zayyat decided that she could not carry out a full check-up as the boy was "miserable and cranky" so they let him go, although he had fractured ribs and a broken back. * Following day, the mother is told she would not be prosecuted. * August 3rd Baby P is found dead in his cot.
* Baby P had suffered more than 50 injuries despite receiving 60 visits from social workers, doctors and police over an eight-month period leading up to his death, but still nothing was done.
Failures In Baby Ps Case
* Social workers failed to challenge mothers inability to explain Baby Ps injuries, concerned about being to confrontational, as they didn’t want to ruin the relationship? * Didn’t appreciate the risk of the repeated injuries to Baby P, even though he repeatedly came back with injuries. * Didn’t investigate Steven Barker the boyfriend, they were told 5 times by the mother and the baby’s father this new man was in Peter’s life and in fact living in the house. However the mother stated in an interview for training purposes that he was not her “boyfriend” but “I wish” and “if I end up with a guy like that, that would be my dream come true” surly this picture she paints of him is...