Justin Park 24.2.13
1. Given MRS GREN is an acronym for features of a living thing. Define Nutrition in our context study. The process of providing or obtaining the food necessary for health and growth.
2. Make a table that lists the chemical elements in
| Stearic acidPalmitic acidOleic acid
| Sulphur carbon hydrogen oxygen nitrogen
3. Briefly describe how large molecules are made from smaller basic units.
4. Make a table for the outcomes of these tests
| Iodine solution
| If starch is present it will go Black/Blue
| Benedict’s Solution
| when added to glucose and heated, turns brownish-orange
| Biuret Test
| The intensity of the colour is directly proportional to the concentration of a substance in a solution. Therefore if the colour was red there would be more protein.
| If fats are present the paper it has been placed on will be translucent
5. Describe the importance of this substance;
| Body’s main energy source. Every gram of carbohydrates you consume contains about 4 calories. When you consume carbohydrates, the enzyme amylase converts them into glucose, the primary fuel that the body uses to power all cellular activity
| The fats in your diet allow you to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins, which include vitamins A, D, E and K, and promote normal growth and development.
| They are essential for body structure, they help transfer things around the body
| Vitamin C
| Boosts immune system, boosts the cardiovascular system and prevents more serious illnesses in the future
| Vitamin D
| Vitamin D promotes calcium absorption in the gut
| Calcium is needed for good teeth and strong bones and for the proper function of nerves, muscles, kidneys, and the heart.
| As oxygen moves...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document