1. Given MRS GREN is an acronym for features of a living thing. Define Nutrition in our context study. The process of providing or obtaining the food necessary for health and growth.
2. Make a table that lists the chemical elements in
Fats| Stearic acidPalmitic acidOleic acid|
Proteins| Sulphur carbon hydrogen oxygen nitrogen|
3. Briefly describe how large molecules are made from smaller basic units.
4. Make a table for the outcomes of these tests
Substance| Test| Outcome|
Starch| Iodine solution| If starch is present it will go Black/Blue| Sugar| Benedict’s Solution| when added to glucose and heated, turns brownish-orange| Protein| Biuret Test| The intensity of the colour is directly proportional to the concentration of a substance in a solution. Therefore if the colour was red there would be more protein.| Fats| Ethanol| If fats are present the paper it has been placed on will be translucent |
5. Describe the importance of this substance;
Carbohydrates| Body’s main energy source. Every gram of carbohydrates you consume contains about 4 calories. When you consume carbohydrates, the enzyme amylase converts them into glucose, the primary fuel that the body uses to power all cellular activity| Fats| The fats in your diet allow you to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins, which include vitamins A, D, E and K, and promote normal growth and development.| Proteins| They are essential for body structure, they help transfer things around the body| Vitamin C| Boosts immune system, boosts the cardiovascular system and prevents more serious illnesses in the future| Vitamin D| Vitamin D promotes calcium absorption in the gut| Calcium| Calcium is needed for good teeth and strong bones and for the proper function of nerves, muscles, kidneys, and the heart.| Iron| As oxygen moves...