· Resources: Ch. 1 in Racial and Ethnic Groups and the U.S. Census Bureau American Fact Finder website at http://factfinder.census.gov
· Select one of the following subordinate groups from Ch. 1 of the text. Because the chapter does not list all subordinate groups, you may select any other group with a documented history in the United States.
o Subordinate groups: Native Americans, African Americans, Chinese Americans, Japanese Americans, Arab Americans, Filipino Americans, Korean Americans, Vietnamese Americans, Asian Indians, Hawaiians, Irish Americans, Polish Americans, Norwegian Americans, Jewish Americans, Cuban Americans, Mexican Americans, and Puerto Ricans.
· Identify and describe which, if any, of the following creation and consequence situations the group has faced:
o Creation: migration, annexation, or colonization
o Consequences: extermination, expulsion, secession, segregation, fusion, or assimilation
· Write a fictional, first-person account of the creation and consequence situations of a subordinate group in the United States in the form of a 700- to 1,050-word journal entry. .
· Describe, as if you are a member of the subordinate group, where the group originated, how it came to the United States, and one or two locations in the United States where members of your group live. Be creative in your fictional descriptions, and accurate with your facts. Research your text, the Internet, or the University Library for information about your chosen group. Of particular usefulness is the People section of the U.S. Census Bureau American Fact Finder website at http://factfinder.census.gov
· Cite your sources according to APA requirements.
· Post your journal entry as a Microsoft® Word document attachment to the Assignment Link by Week