Asian Studies Hong Kong Research

Topics: Hong Kong, Chinese language, Population density Pages: 5 (1040 words) Published: February 11, 2013
Hong Kong

conventional long form: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region local long form: Xianggang Tebie Xingzhengqu

Population Structure:

← Hong Kong S. A. R. has a population of 7,018,636 (2008 estimate).

← 97 per cent Chinese, with some Filipinos, British, Indians, Portuguese, and Americans;

← The overall population density is 5,753 people per sq km (14,915 per sq mi), making Hong Kong one of the most densely populated regions in the world.

← Around 95 per cent of the population is urban.

← Average life expectancy at birth (1994) is 76 years for men and 81 years for women, among the highest levels in the world.

← Ethnicity: about 97 per cent Chinese, with some Filipinos, British, Indians, Portuguese, and Americans; the future status of the non-Chinese minorities under the new government is uncertain. Around 90 per cent of the Chinese population is either native to Hong Kong or from the adjoining Guangdong Province of China; the remainder are predominantly from Shanghai, Taiwan, Fujian, Zhejiang, and Jiangsu.

← Ethic Groups: Chinese 95%, Filipino 1.6%, Indonesian 1.3%, other 2.1% (2006 census)

← Religion: eclectic mixture of local religions 90%, Christian 10%

← Religion: The majority of the Chinese population practises the eclectic combination of Buddhism, Daoism, and the philosophy of Confucianism usual in Chinese religion. There are also some 500,000 Christians, mostly Roman Catholics, and some 50,000 Muslims, plus small populations of Hindus, Jews, Sikhs, and other creeds

← Literacy: definition: age 15 and over has ever attended school total population: 93.5%
male: 96.9%
female: 89.6% (2002)

← Education: Literacy--97.1% (98.7% male, 95.4% female).

← DENSITY Hong Kong's population has increased steadily over the past decade, reaching 6.96 million in 2007. Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated areas in the world, with an overall density of some 6,303 people per square kilometer

GNP: 379600000000
exchange to US: 48,768,582,242.1200
GNP rate per capita: 6948.44$

People of Hongkong: More
The population is unevenly distributed, however, with the greatest concentrations of people in Kowloon and across the harbor on Hong Kong Island. Some districts, such as Mong Kok in Kowloon, have population densities of about 40,000 persons per sq km (about 100,000 per sq mi), among the highest urban densities in the world. Although birth and death rates are comparatively low in Hong Kong, migration from other parts of China creates a high population growth rate, and migrants now make up about 40 percent of the population. About 98 percent of the people are ethnic Han Chinese. Of these, 90 percent speak the Cantonese dialect of Chinese and come from southern China, or are descendants of people who originated there. The remaining 10 percent of Han Chinese come from other regions of China and speak other Chinese dialects. About 2 percent of the total population come from or have ancestors who came from foreign countries, most from Southeast Asia. Education is free and compulsory for all children from the age of 6 to 15, and adult literacy is over 90 percent. Only a small percentage of high school graduates attend college or university on a full-time basis, however. There are seven colleges and universities, including two polytechnic schools. The Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts offers courses in dance, music, theater, and technical arts. There are also more than a dozen technical institutes, technical colleges, and teacher-training colleges, which have large numbers of part-time students.

Population Trends:

|Population growth rate: | | | |0.532% (2008 est.) | |Birth rate:...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Hong Kong Disneyland Case Study Essay
  • Hong Kong population research Essay
  • House Speculation in Hong Kong Essay
  • Hong Kong Essay
  • Essay about tourism and hong kong
  • research paper for asian religion
  • Essay about Hong Kong Disneyland Case Study
  • Hong Kong Disney Case Study Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free