* Efficient workforce: The organization always tried to hire hired employees who were related to the founder and who were passionate about the social cause of helping people. Monetary benefits were initially not a concern.
* Strong Leadership: The organization was till then run by Dr. Venkataswamy. He had the requisite knowledge and skill in the field of ophthalmology and was motivated to serve the society in the same field. The organization which was started in the year 1976 with 20 beds is now one of the biggest of its kind in the year 1992.
* Operational efficiency: The hospital had a logical series of operations that made it possible for the staff to serve the large crowd that arrived at the hospital almost every day of the week.
* Emphasis on research and development: Dr. Venkataswamy always encouraged his workforce to undertake research and publish papers in this area. He also tied up with universities in different countries to facilitate exchange of knowledge and ideas.
* Targeting bottom of the pyramid: The organization realized that the rural areas contribute to around 67 percent of the total population hence the business model was more focused towards this segment.
* Timely support from the sponsors
2. What has Dr. V.'s role been in all this?
Ans. Dr. Venkataswamy has been the master mind behind the success of the organization. Most of the above mentioned factors of success was initiated or mastered by Dr. Venkataswamy.
3. How do you evaluate the quality of service at the free hospital? At the paying hospital?
* Comparison of Free Hospital and main hospital:
* Paying hospital was more organized in comparison against the free hospital. * Commonly Free hospital was more crowded than the Main hospital. * Three levels of pricing in the Main hospital
* Similar operations followed.
Conclusion: The services offered...