Argumentative Essay Prompts
1. The Board of Education has decided to extend the school day for one hour because of the increased graduation requirements. Do you agree or disagree with making the school day longer? Write an essay to the Board of Ed and argue your point of view.
2. A leading doctor has published research claiming all students should be in bed by 9:00 PM in order for them to learn well in school. Your parents are considering doing what the doctor suggests. Write an argument to your parents explaining your position.
3. The administration at your school has instituted random locker and purse searches to check for guns, knives, drugs, and cigarettes. Anyone caught with these weapons will be immediately suspended and may face expulsion. The administration argues that the searches will not only guard against contraband being brought into the school, but will make the students feel safer. What is your position?
4. A litter problem has developed in your school. Students are throwing trash on the grounds, in the hallways, and classrooms. The administration has asked for students to take more care, but the litter problem persists. The administration has reacted by limiting food and beverages to the cafeteria only. What is your position on the issue?
5. The increase in school violence has prompted one district to institute a school uniform policy. This decision came after researching the positive impact of uniforms in other schools. What is your position on this issue?
6. Some states have enacted legislation outlawing teachers and students to be Facebook friends. Write an argument for or against this law.
7. Recent cuts to school funding have forced one district to cut (all middle school athletics, busing, art class, performing arts, etc.). Write an argument sharing your position on this cut.
8. As part of a new technology initiative, your district is increasing the number of computer labs in the school. The district plan calls for an additional computer lab of 32 seats. Teachers at your school are lobbying instead for laptop or handheld devices that can move from class to class. Write an argument for one of these plans.
9. There has been much discussion about violence and video games. Some experts even argue it is a cause for juvenile crime. Write an argument taking one side or the other.
10. What is the most important event of the 20th century? Choose an event and write an argument convincing others.
11. What is the most important invention of all time? Choose one and write an argument.
12. Who is the most influential person in history? Choose one person and write an argument.
13. Suppose you learn a historical neighborhood is about to be condemned. Write an argument to stop this from happening.
14. Should public schools be segregated by gender?
15. Inventions are made to advance our society, but not all inventions ultimately have good effects. Identify one invention that has harmed society and write an argument on why we would be better off as a civilization without it.
16. You are faced with the decision of whether or not to work while in high school. Write an argument either for or against teen employment.
17. Imagine you are a political candidate for the Presidency. You are asked at a debate to agree or disagree with one of the following statements: “All Americans are free,” or, “All people are equal.” Respond to the American public.
18. Because of budget cuts, your school will have to drop either the elite choir class or strength and conditioning classes. You are not involved in either, but you have friends in both programs. Write an argument supporting a decision on which to drop.
19. Some states are considering changing the legal age for getting a driving license from sixteen to eighteen. The people who are in favor of this change base their views on the number of incidents that claim the lives of...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document