Module Convenor: Professor Peter Mack (room H509)
By the end of this module you should have:
1. Acquired skill in reading Middle English and some understanding of the structure and history of the
2. Acquired some knowledge of Medieval English literature (especially the work of Chaucer and his contemporaries), society and culture.
3. Become aware of the forms and metres of English poetry in preparation for future modules.
4. Obtained some knowledge of sixteenth-century English poetry and its intellectual and social context.
5. Acquired some knowledge of the Christian, classical and continental literary background of English
6. Improved your skills in textual analysis and essay-writing.
Texts to buy:
L. D. Benson (ed.) The Riverside Chaucer (Oxford)
J. Burrow (ed.) Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Penguin)
Stephen Greenblatt et al. (ed.) The Norton Anthology of English Literature, 8th Edition. Volume B. The Sixteenth Century. The Early Seventeenth Century. (Norton, 2006)
Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene (ed.) A. Hamilton (Longmans)
1. Translation Classes (weekly, term 1 only)
2. Lectures (weekly, Tuesdays 12 noon, Arts Centre Conference Room)
3. Seminars (weekly, tutors’ rooms)
4. Essays (two essays and two commentary exercises); approximate deadlines are indicated in the course outline below (seminar tutors will specify precise deadlines). Further information on the submission of essays is available in the Student Handbook.
Sections of the Module:
1. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (weeks 2-5)
2. Chaucer, selected Canterbury Tales (weeks 7-10)
3. Elizabethan Poetic Form, Court Poetry, Sonnets (weeks 11-15)
4. Spenser’s Faerie Queene Bks. 1 & 3 (weeks 17-20)
5. Epyllia and John Donne (weeks 21-3)
1. Attend lectures, seminars and textual classes, having prepared... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 01). Applied Linguistics. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Applied-Linguistics-1363870.html
"Applied Linguistics" StudyMode.com. 01 2013. 01 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Applied-Linguistics-1363870.html>.
"Applied Linguistics." StudyMode.com. 01, 2013. Accessed 01, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Applied-Linguistics-1363870.html.