MIISTRY OF HIGHER EDUCATION
KING SAUD UNIVERSITY
COLLEGE OF ARTS
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE
Application Of A Communicative Competence Skill Using The Multiliteracies Pedagogy Model
I will first describe the components of Communicative Competence then the four spheres of Multiliteracies Pedagogy then conclude by applying a skill.
Communicative Competence has five components:
1. Discourse Competence: The selection, sequencing, and arrangement of words, structures and utterances to achieve a unified spoken or written text. Examples of Discourse Competence skills:
2. Linguistic Competence: The basic elements of language: A. Syntax
3. Actional Competence: Conveying and understanding speech acts. Examples of Actional Competence skills:
A. Interpersonal Exchange
4. Sociocultural Competence: The knowledge of how to communicate appropriately within the social and cultural context of communication. Examples of Sociocultural Competence skills:
A. Social Contextual Factors
B. Stylistic Appropriateness Factors
C. Cultural Factors
5. Strategic Competence: The knowledge of communication strategies and how to use them. Examples of Strategic Competence skills:
A. Avoidance or reduction strategies.
B. Achievement or compensatory strategies.
C. Interactional strategies.
The Multiletracies Pedagogy model:
1. Situated Practice: It provides immersion for students to develop familiarity for the activities and learn by doing.
2. Overt Instruction: It provides direct information from the teacher to let the students learn the important features of the learning activities and focus on the structure (grammar) of the activities.
3. Discourse Analysis: It helps students analyze their...