Post your paper to your individual forum. Do not post a second copy anywhere. Do not discuss the questions with anyone before or after the class. 1. Which of the following is both civil and substantive?
A state's contract law.
B) A state murder statute.
C) A state's rules for the conduct of a civil trial.
D) A state's rules for appealing a civil judgment.
2. Common law consists of:
Laws that all nations have in common.
B) Laws that affect everyone, including ordinary persons.
C) Opinions that have been issued by judges when deciding previous cases. D) Laws with which most people are familiar.
3. Flexibility is undesirable in the law because it eliminates certainty. True
4. The courts of one nation cannot question the actions undertaken by another nation within the other nation's borders under: A) The act of state doctrine.
B) The sovereign immunity doctrine.
C) The extradition doctrine.
D) The expropriation doctrine.
5. When an appellate court receives a case appealed to it, it will: A)
Retry the case with a new jury.
B) Retry the case without a jury.
C) Hold a hearing to consider new evidence that was not presented to the trial court. D) Review the record of the trial court to see if there were any errors of law made by the judge. Answer: D
6. In order for a federal district court to have jurisdiction over a case, the case must involve issues of federal law. True
7. One difference between arbitration and mediation is that a mediator does not issue a decision.
8. A statute of limitation limits the amount of punitive damages recoverable in a trial. True
9. Depositions are:
Written questions directed to a party, answered in writing, and signed under oath B) Documentary evidence introduced at trial.
C) Oral examinations of a party or a party's witness by the opposing party's attorney...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document