Engineering - a science by which the properties of matter and the sources of energy in nature are made useful to man.
Industrial Engineering is the engineering approach applied to all factors, including the human factor, involved in the production and distribution of products and services.
Now that we have arrived at a definition of Industrial Engineering, let's talk about what things are done by an Industrial Engineer. Let's refer to these as the scope of this job.
1. Study, measure, and improve the way individuals perform their jobs. 2. Design and install a better system of coordinating the jobs assigned to individuals into a group effort. 3. Specify, predict, and evaluate results obtained.
From this we can, perhaps, oversimplify things for the purpose of understanding
Now let's go one step farther and define Industrial Engineering. Everybody will agree that a simple definition of Industrial Engineering is:
- A logical way to find out:
▪ The best way to do something
▪ The time required to do it
▪ The way to measure results
Apparel Engineering is simple Industrial Engineering applied specifically to the apparel industry.
CONCEPT OF SAM
FORMULA FOR SAM CALCULATION:
SAM: ASCT (1+P.F+M.D) + BHT
ASCT: AVERAGE SINGLE CYCLE TIME (Average of readings taken for an operator)
P.F ALLOWANCE: 7.5 %
|TYPE OF MACHINE |ALLOWANCE | |SINGLE NEEDLE LOCK STITCH |12.5 % | |FEED OF ARM |9.5 % | |SINGLE NEEDLE CHAIN STITCH |7.5 % | |5 THREAD OVERLOCK |9.5 % | |3 THREAD OVERLOCK |9.5 % | |FLATLOCK |9.5 % |
|Style # |SAM |PRODUCTION |SAM PRODUCED | | | | | | |A |18 |30,000 |540000 | | | | | | |B |19 |40,000 |760000 | | | | | | |C |20 |20,000 |400000 | | | | | | |TTL SAM PROD | | |1700000 | | | | | |...