1. Envy is ignorance.
2. Imitation is suicide.
3. A man is relieved and gay when he has put his heart into his work and done his best; but what he has said or done otherwise, shall give him no peace.
4. Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string.
5. Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.
6. Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members.
7. Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist.
8. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world.
9. For nonconformity the world whips you with its displeasure.
10. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
11. To be great is to be misunderstood.
12. Greatness appeals to the future.
13. Travelling is a fool's paradise.
14. Insist on yourself; never imitate.
15. The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet.
16. Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
17. The voyage of the best ship is a zigzag line of a hundred tacks.
18. The sun shines to-day also.
19. Undoubtedly we have no questions to ask which are unanswerable.
20. But to a sound judgment, the most abstract truth is the most practical.
21. To go into solitude, a man needs to retire as much from his chamber as from society.
22. Nature never wears a mean appearance.
23. Nature never became a toy to a wise spirit.
24. The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child.
25. In the woods, is perpetual youth.
26. Nature always wears the colors of the spirit.
27. The eye is the best of artists.
28. We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough.
29. Nothing divine dies.
30. All good is eternally reproductive....