2. The United States reasserted the Monroe Doctrine as a cornerstone of its foreign policy by Correct Answer: insisting that Britain submit its dispute with Venezuela over the boundary of British Guiana to U.S. arbitration.
3. Military strategist and historian Alfred Thayer Mahan advocated an American policy of Correct Answer: expanding the nation's merchant marine and navy.
4. President Grover Cleveland responded to Cuba's rebellion against Spain by Correct Answer: offering to mediate the struggle.
5. In 1898, the American battleship Maine was
Your Answer: probably sunk as a result of an accidental internal explosion.
6. Which of the following factors contributed to Americans' desire for war against Spain in 1898? Correct Answer: All of the answers are correct.
7. In leading the country toward war, McKinley might properly be labeled Your Answer: a moderate in steering a middle course between popular sentiments and international considerations.
8. Many anti-imperialists opposed American annexation of the Philippines because they feared that
Your Answer: it would violate America's historical preference for independence and self-determination.
9. The Filipinos
Correct Answer: cooperated with Americans to drive the Spanish from their islands during the Spanish-American War.
10. United States Secretary of State John Hay's Open Door policy Your Answer: guarded against the partition of China into foreign colonies and the consequent loss of American trading opportunities.
11. During the early nineteenth century, some Americans urged abolition of the foreign service because Correct Answer: the profession itself stirred dangers of entanglement in world struggles.
12. Proponents in favor of overseas expansion by the United States in the latter nineteenth century argued that Your...