Chapter 1: Stats Starts Here Chapter 2: Data
Statistics data, datum variation individual respondent subject participant experimental unit observation variable
enter data in a list change a datum
delete a datum name a new list clear a list delete a list
recreate a list copy a list
1. Name three things you learned about Statistics in Chapter 1.
2. The authors claim that this book is very different from a typical mathematics textbook. Would you agree or disagree, based on what you read in Chapter 1? Explain.
3. According to the authors, what are the “three simple steps to doing Statistics right?” 4. What do the authors refer to as the “W’s of data?” 5. Why must data be in context (the W’s)?
6. Explain the difference between a categorical variable and a quantitative variable. Give an example of each.
Chapter 1: Stats Starts Here / Chapter 2: Data
Stats: Modeling the World - Bock, Velleman, & DeVeaux
Chapter 3: Displaying and Describing Categorical Data
frequency table relative frequency table distribution bar chart pie chart contingency table marginal distribution conditional distribution independent segmented bar chart
1. According to the authors, what are the three rules of data analysis?
2. Explain the difference between a frequency table and a relative frequency table.
3. When is it appropriate to use a bar chart?
4. When is it appropriate to use a pie chart?
5. When is it appropriate to use a contingency table?
6. What does a marginal distribution show?
7. When is it appropriate to look at a conditional distribution?
8. What does it mean for two variables to be independent?
9. How does a segmented bar chart compare to a pie chart?
10. Explain what is meant by Simpson’s Paradox.
Chapter 3: Displaying and Describing Categorical Data... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2012, 01). Ap Statistics Outline. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 01, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ap-Statistics-Outline-897314.html
"Ap Statistics Outline" StudyMode.com. 01 2012. 2012. 01 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ap-Statistics-Outline-897314.html>.
- MLA 7
"Ap Statistics Outline." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 01 2012. Web. 01 2012. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ap-Statistics-Outline-897314.html>.
"Ap Statistics Outline." StudyMode.com. 01, 2012. Accessed 01, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Ap-Statistics-Outline-897314.html.