1. Who do you think is the first one in drinking a new type of coke or Pepsi? Who do you think is the first one to take a tablet of Aspirin? Who is the first one to use shampoos? Your guess is right! It’s the poor vulnerable lab animal - either a cat, a rat or a rabbit. These animals are widely and cruelly used in various kinds of scientific research. Millions of them die every year or are killed after being used.
2. Animal testing or experimentation, is the use of non-human animals in experiments. Worldwide it is estimated that 50 to 100 million animals are used annually for research. It is reported that 3 million animals die annually in scientific researches in the UK. The number is about 30 times in America. Statistics show that an animal dies for scientific researches every three seconds. Most animals are purpose-bred, while others are caught in the wild or supplied by dealers.
3. The research is conducted inside medical schools, universities, pharmaceutical companies, farms, defense establishments, and commercial industries. It includes pure research such as genetics, developmental biology and behavioural studies. It also includes applied research such as biomedical research, drug testing and toxicology tests, including cosmetics testing.
4. Experimental animals are routinely cut open, poisoned and then caged in for weeks, months or even years. Some animals are often given diseases to see whether a new drug will work or whether it has side effects. Some animals are killed by researchers in order to see the degree of damage inside their bodies. We can often see baby cats or rabbits being separated from their mothers. Use of animals in scientific research is an immoral and cruel scientific practice.
5. According to animal activists, any animal research project implies a potential violation of moral norms and values. A number of scientists, animal welfare, and animal rights organizations have... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2010, 10). Animals Should Not Be Used for Scientific Research. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 10, 2010, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Animals-Should-Not-Be-Used-For-421679.html
"Animals Should Not Be Used for Scientific Research" StudyMode.com. 10 2010. 2010. 10 2010 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Animals-Should-Not-Be-Used-For-421679.html>.
- MLA 7
"Animals Should Not Be Used for Scientific Research." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 10 2010. Web. 10 2010. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Animals-Should-Not-Be-Used-For-421679.html>.
"Animals Should Not Be Used for Scientific Research." StudyMode.com. 10, 2010. Accessed 10, 2010. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Animals-Should-Not-Be-Used-For-421679.html.