Chapter 7 Activity
Negative Reinforcement Quiz 2 points each
1. If you were asked for another word or phrase for negative reinforcement, what would you select? Removing something unpleasant.
2. When you supply negative reinforcement, it usually results in: a. Weakening a behavior that you want weakened.
b. Strengthening a behavior that you want strengthened.
3. Do people usually look forward to receiving negative reinforcement? a. Yes
4. Do you anticipate regularly (consciously) supplying positive reinforcement to those you might manage in the future?
5. Do you anticipate regularly (consciously) supplying negative reinforcement to those you might manage in the future?
Reinforcement Schedules 1 point each
The text indicates that in real life, continuous reinforcement is rare. Sometimes responses are reinforced, sometimes not. Among the most important schedules of partial reinforcement are the fixed ratio (FR), variable ratio (VR), fixed interval (FI), and variable interval (VI). Identify the schedule in the examples below by writing your answer—FR,VR, FI, or VI.
1. buying state lottery tickets and winning
2. A hotel maid may take a 15-minute break only after having cleaned three rooms.
3. watching and seeing shooting stars on a dark night
4. A teenager receives an allowance every Saturday.
5. checking the front porch for a newspaper when the delivery person is extremely unpredictable
6. A professional baseball player gets a hit approximately every third time at bat.
7. checking the oven to see if chocolate chip cookies are done, when baking time is known
8. A blueberry picker receives $1 after filling 3 pint boxes.
9. A charitable organization makes an average of ten phone calls for every donation it receives.
10. calling a garage mechanic to see if your car is fixed yet
When you have completed Chapter 7...