1) Identify the characteristics and functions of the following: penis, testes, seminal vesicles, prostate gland, sperm Penis- external sexual organ of male humans
Testes-produce the male reproductive cell
Seminal vesicles- secrete seminal fluid and nourish and promote the movement of sperm Prostate gland-controls the release of urine from the bladder Sperm- male reproductive cell
2) Identify the characteristics and functions of the following: vagina, ovary, oviduct, labia majora, uterus Vagina-female reproductive organ
Ovary-produces the female reproductive cell
Oviduct- passageway from the ovaries to the outside of the body Labia majora-The outer lips that protect the vagina
Uterus- the cavity which holds the baby during pregnancy
3) What are the complementary male sex organs that correspond to the following female organs: oviduct, vagina, labia majora, ovary, clitoris Oviduct- epididymis
Vagina- passageway from the ovaries to the outside of the body
Labia majora- scrotum
4) How are ova and sperm similar? How are they different? They both have the same number of chromosomes, but they are produced in different numbers throughout the month. 5) Identify the phases of the menstrual cycle, and what events occur in each stage. Menstrual- the lining of the uterus sheds
Follicular-the ovary prepares to release the egg
Luteal- the ovary releases the egg
6) What are gonadotropins? What gland secretes them? Provide examples. Hormones secreted by the anterior pituitary. LH and FSH
7) After fertilization, where does an embryo implant?
In to the uterine wall.
8) How is the sex of a child determined?
By the DNA pairs. It’s XX for female and XY for male. 9) What can happen to maternal and paternal...