Anatomy and Histology of the Small and Large Intestine

Topics: Abdomen, Digestive system, Small intestine Pages: 2 (556 words) Published: March 28, 2013
Anatomy and Histology of the Small and Large Intestine

Small Intestine
The small intestine is a specialized tubular structure within the abdominal cavity in continuity with the stomach proximally and the colon distally. The small bowel increases 20 times in length with aging, from 200 cm in the newborn to almost 6 m in the adult, and its length is approximated by three times the length of the infant, or height of the child or adult.[1] The duodenum, the most proximal portion of the small intestine, begins at the duodenal bulb, travels in the retroperitoneal space around the head of the pancreas, and ends on its return to the peritoneal cavity at the ligament of Treitz. The remainder of the small intestine is suspended within the peritoneal cavity by a thin, broad-based mesentery that is attached to the posterior abdominal wall and allows free movement of the small intestine within the abdominal cavity. The proximal 40% of the mobile small intestine is the jejunum, and the remaining 60% is the ileum. The jejunum occupies the left upper portion of the abdomen, and the ileum is positioned in the right abdomen and upper part of the pelvis. No distinct anatomic demarcation exists between jeju-num and ileum. Visual examination of the luminal surface of the small intestine reveals mucosal folds, the plicae circulares. More numerous in the proximal jejunum, the plicae circulares decrease in number in the distal small bowel and are absent in the terminal ileum. Aggregates of lymphoid follicles are scattered throughout the small intestine but are found in highest concentration within the ileum, where they are designated Peyer's patches. Peyer's patches normally are more prominent during infancy and childhood than they are in adulthood. The small bowel is in continuity with the colon at the ileocecal valve, which comprises two semilunar lips that protrude into the cecum. The ileocecal valve provides a barrier to the retrograde flow of...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • The Small Intestine Essay
  • Essay about Small Intestine
  • Large Intestine Essay
  • Small Intestine Essay
  • Digestive: Digestion and Entire Small Intestine Essay
  • Small Intestine: Notes Essay
  • Physiology of Small Intestine Essay
  • anatomy Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free