Every business organization that comes into contact with the customer develops a perception in the mind of the customer. Today, in this competitive world every organization needs to know the perception in the mind of the customers. In order to gain mind share or heart share of customers along with the market share is the main lookout for the organizations. Especially in consumer electronics sector, where the products are more or less same, the only way to leave positive impact on customer’s mind and to gain competitive advantage is providing best possible services to the customers.
Brand perception is consumers’ ability to identify the brand under different conditions, as reflected by their brand recognition or recall performance (Kotler & Lane, 2006). Brand recall refers to consumer’s ability to retrieve the brand from the memory (Keller, 1993). According to the improvement of measurement for brand equity, consumer-based brand equity was described for four dimensions; brand awareness, brand association, perceived quality, and brand loyalty (Pappu, et al, 2005). Brand awareness was defined as the consumers’ ability to identify or recognize the brand (Rossiter and Percy, 1987). It refers to the strength of a brand presence in consumer’s minds. Brand awareness has several levels starting from the less recognition of the brand to dominance (Aaker, 1991). Perceived quality was evaluated and decided by consumers. Perceived quality is another valuation of brand to push the customer to buy products. Brand building has been around for centuries as a means to distinguish the goods of one producer from those of another.
The research problem of this project is to focus on the brand perception of Videocon among customers, dealers and distributors and understanding how to create a better image of Videocon
1. To have an overview of Videocon.
2. To identify Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats of Videocon
Research objectives for customers
1. To know about the awareness of customers for Videocon products. 2. To identify the most important attributes in consumer durables leading to their sale. 3. To study about the satisfaction level of customers for Videocon products. 4. To analyse the effectiveness of Videocon’s impact on customers.
Research objectives for Dealers
1. To identify the major players of consumer durables in terms of sales. 2. To do a comparative study of Videocon with the existing brands of consumer durables. 3. To identify the level of dealer satisfaction for the products of Videocon. 4. To study the impact of change of logo and overall mode of operation.
Every study has certain limitations. In my study, also there were certain limitations, which I could not able to solve. * The research was conducted in a very small area.
* My research work period witness the biggest ups and downs in product sale of different brands, which affected the perception of the customer. This was biggest drawback of my study. * Time factor was also important for me. I had only 60 days to complete my research, for which a full-fledged report was insufficient for me. * The customer filled the questionnaire mostly in careless manner, so it was difficult to make them hold for time. * I had to go and meet all the customers personally one by one and then convince them for the questionnaire which was tiring and time consuming.
Before the liberalization of the Indian economy, only a few companies like Kelvinator, Godrej, Allwyn, and Voltas were the major players in the consumer durables market, accounting for no less than 90% of the market. Then, after the liberalization, foreign players like LG, Sony, Samsung, Whirlpool, Daewoo, Aiwa came into the picture. Today, these players control the major share...