Project #1 Final Draft - Handout
23 February 2012
Genre Analysis of the Online Article, ‘Superfoods’ Everyone Needs
Genre: online article
Author: Susan Seliger
Target Audience: variety of ages; healthy people, healthy cooks, people who want to eat better, people with illnesses, diseases, or other health ailments
Article Title: ‘Superfoods’ Everyone Needs
Date: February 2007
Author’s claim: “A healthy diet incorporating a variety of... superfoods will help you maintain your weight, fight disease, and live longer.” (para. 4)
My analysis tool: COLFV model, which stands for five elements—content, organization, language, format, and values
Blueberries—one of the superfoods Seliger describes. Source: www.sciencedaily.com
My claim: Using the COLFV model to analyze the genre of this informative online article, I find that Seliger effectively uses organization, language, and values; however, the content and format of the text could be improved.
Feature 1 – Percentages
* In reference to the outside source, Elizabeth Somer, Seliger includes percentages. “I’d say about 50%-70% of suffering could be eliminated by what people eat and how they move: heart disease, diabetes, cancer, hypertension can all be impacted.” (para. 3)
* By including these percentages, the reader can easily refer to them in the text.
* Percentages make the comment more tangible.
Feature 2 – Comparisons
* The author compares age with calcium levels for adults (para. 12). For example, the author includes: “Age 9-18 – 1300mg; age 19-50 – 1000mg; age 51 and over – 1200mg,” in bullet point format on separate lines.
* These comparisons by age and level of calcium help readers find which level fits them.
* These comparisons are important, however, the ages are limited to adults. Albeit the first group includes children from ages 9-18, it can be useful for readers to be informed about the levels for... [continues]
Cite This Essay
(2013, 04). Analysis of Online Article. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 04, 2013, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/Analysis-Of-Online-Article-1626246.html
"Analysis of Online Article" StudyMode.com. 04 2013. 2013. 04 2013 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Analysis-Of-Online-Article-1626246.html>.
- MLA 7
"Analysis of Online Article." StudyMode.com. StudyMode.com, 04 2013. Web. 04 2013. <http://www.studymode.com/essays/Analysis-Of-Online-Article-1626246.html>.
"Analysis of Online Article." StudyMode.com. 04, 2013. Accessed 04, 2013. http://www.studymode.com/essays/Analysis-Of-Online-Article-1626246.html.