Vocabulary words and sentences
Anabolic steroids: substances that are found naturally in our body. * Chemically all the steroids are similar because they have a common structural unit.
Androgens: A male hormone.
* Androgens and testosterone are common hormones.
Testosterone: A male sex hormone.
* The testosterone is responsible for the development of muscles and mass strength. Hormone: Chemical messengers that are secreted by glands to regulate development and specific metabolic processes. * Most steroids function as hormones.
Deficiency: A failing or shortcoming.
* Anabolic steroids create deficiency many health aspects. Androstenedione: A steroid sex hormone.
* Androstenedione can be found in all animals and in some plants.
Steroid: A general class of chemical substances that are structurally related to one another and share the same chemical skeleton * Some athletes use hormones called steroids.
Psychosis: A severe mental disorder in which thought and emotion are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality. * By using steroids the risks of obtaining a psychosis increase.
Atrophy: A diminution in the size of a cell, tissue, organ, or part. * Some organ atrophies are caused by anabolic steroids
Lipoprotein: A lipoprotein is a combination of a fat and protein molecule. * We transport lipoprotein in our blood.
1. Why do athletes us anabolic steroids?
2. What are some risks of using anabolic steroids?
3. What is Androstenedione?
4. What are anabolic steroids?
5. Why are steroids prohibited and cataloged as drugs?
6. What are some risks of using Androstenedione?
7. What are the similarity between anabolic steroids and Androstenedione?
8. Which sports are known because of the use of anabolic steroids by their players?
9. Is Androstenedione an useful food supplement?
10. Why is it so important for the athletes not to use steroids?
Major effects of steroid abuse can include liver damage, Jaundice, fluid retention, high blood pressure increases, "bad" cholesterol. Also, males risk shrinking of the testicles, baldness, breast development, and infertility. Females risk growth of facial hair, menstrual changes, male-pattern baldness, and deepened voice. Teens risk permanently stunted height, accelerated puberty changes, and severe acne. All users, but particularly those who inject the drug, risk infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis.
Connection and application
Basically my topic is completely connected to the world of the major leagues sports because most of the athletes use anabolic steroids to improve their speed and strength. Maybe they don’t actually realize how they are affecting their bodies. If I could help them based on what I learned, I would try to create awareness of the type of medical conditions such as high blood pressure that they can get by inhering steroids. I would also talk about the ACSM, The International Olympic Committee and The national Football league who prohibited the...