1.1 The Proposed Project (611)
The title: An Investigation into Blu-ray Disc Authoring can be interpreted differently depending on the area of interest/research of the investigator. Obviously, the fact that the investigator of this particular project is completing it as partial fulfilment of a music technology degree means the investigation should have a bias towards the audio side of Blu-ray. Specifically, the proposal for this project indicated an investigation into the potential of BD authoring in the following ways:
• Assessing the potential of BD as a platform for an ear training application,
• Gauging the quality of Blu-ray 7.1 channel audio,
• Investigating production techniques for 7.1.
The aims and objectives related to this project were subject to change throughout the research phase of the project, this also applied to the overall interpretation of the project title too; with new discoveries during research having changed overall direction of the project. The project proposal detailed motives for the project aims, they can be summarised by the following:
• Current ear training packages (such as that Dave Moulton’s – ‘Golden Ears’, and ‘EarMaster 5.0’) are interactive and media heavy. Could the high-capacity and highly interactive BD format provide a suitable media for new ear training packages?
• A DTS white paper states that the DTS-HS MA codec included in the BD specification allows a bit-to-bit representation of the original studio master soundtrack. This exposes an opportunity for investigating the quality of Blu-ray 7.1 audio, and mixing and mastering a song for this multi-channel audio format.
During the research phase, another motive for the inclusion of an investigation into 7.1 channel audio became apparent.
The evolution of the optical storage medium has had a direct effect on the focus of music technology research; specifically, spatial audio.
Cite This Essay
(2012, 03). An Investigation Into Blu-Ray Disc Authouring. StudyMode.com. Retrieved 03, 2012, from http://www.studymode.com/essays/An-Investigation-Into-Blu-Ray-Disc-Authouring-949356.html
"An Investigation Into Blu-Ray Disc Authouring" StudyMode.com. 03 2012. 03 2012 <http://www.studymode.com/essays/An-Investigation-Into-Blu-Ray-Disc-Authouring-949356.html>.
"An Investigation Into Blu-Ray Disc Authouring." StudyMode.com. 03, 2012. Accessed 03, 2012. http://www.studymode.com/essays/An-Investigation-Into-Blu-Ray-Disc-Authouring-949356.html.