End of Unit Social Studies Project
Prejudice is one of the main themes in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. The novel is set in the American South during the 1930's, but working to overcome prejudice is as important today as it was during the period of Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. People experience discrimination when they are denied their rights as a result of prejudice. In Roll of Thunder, racial prejudice is the reason for the discrimination that the Logan family experience. Prejudice and discrimination can be based on ethnic, religious, social, economic, age, gender, or other differences.
In this activity, you will:
* Use the dictionary to define the terms: prejudice and discrimination * Identify 4 examples of prejudice and discrimination in Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry * Interview a family member or friend over the age of 25 about examples of prejudice and discrimination in their lives * Reflect on the issues of prejudice and discrimination within your own culture *Recreate your favorite scene from Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
1. Defining Your Terms ActivityLength: 2 sentences
Instructions: _____________ points
1) Use a dictionary to help you define the terms: prejudice & discrimination.
2) After you have studied the definitions of the terms, use a separate sheet of paper to create your own definitions in your own words to share in class.
2. Prejudice in Roll of Thunder Activity Length: 1-2 paragraphs typed
Using your book, describe two specific examples of prejudice from the novel. Be prepared to share your examples with the class. For each description of prejudice, answer the following questions: 1) What happened during this example of prejudice?
2) On what page of the novel did this example occur?
3) Who are the characters involved?
4) At what part of a story map does this example occur (Exposition, Rising...