American Ways

Topics: United States, American culture, World War II Pages: 3 (1043 words) Published: January 5, 2013
The United States has about 300 million people as of 2012, making it the third most populated country in the world. In today’s America, the Native Americans only make up about 1% of the American population. The other 99% are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants. The American people mostly reside of immigrants who originally came to America to seek freedom, independence, and the equality of opportunity. America a nation based on a multicultural society where a lot of subcultures come together and create one big culture by the values they have in common. Because of that the American people doesn’t identify themselves by their racial, ethical, religious, or cultural diversity, but instead they see themselves as people who share a common set of values which make them Americans. * “We all share a common set of values that make us American… We are defined by the rights we have… Our rights are our history, why the first European settlers came here and why millions more have come here since.” America is considered to be a land of opportunities, independence, and freedom. Anyone can grow up to be wealthy, or even the President of the United States, as long as you work hard enough for it. But this idea of endless opportunities isn’t true for everyone, because the so-called value; Equality of Opportunity doesn’t really exist among everyone in America anymore. The poor have little to almost no chance to get richer, while the rich remain rich. President Woodrow Wilson once said in his New Freedom campaign; * “American enterprise is not free; the man with only a little capital is finding it harder and harder to get into the field, more and more impossible to compete with the big fellow. Why? Because the laws of this country do not prevent the strong from crushing the weak.” The American people are highly religiously. According to survey in 2007, about 78.4% is Christians, about 16.1% does not belong to any religion, and only 4.7% belong to other kinds of...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay on Deliver Us from Evil: an Interpretation of American Prohibition
  • Technology
  • Essay about Land of the Free: A reflection on what defines a 21st century American
  • Analysis of they called it prairie light Essay
  • An American Soldier Essay
  • The Effect of the Automobile on American Life Essay
  • Essay on American Traditions Customs
  • American Gothic Was Painted by Grant Wood Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free